Homemade beef satay
Soak the lemongrass stalks in cold water for about an hour. Combine the sunflower oil, sweet soy sauce, chilli sauce, ginger and garlic to make a marinade, then add the meat cubes and coat well. Drain the lemongrass and use the stalks as skewers for the meat (use a knife if you need help to pierce a small hole in the meat).
Ingredients for Homemade beef satayMain dish, barbecue, serves 4 *Get the best taste and start marinating one day prior to your barbecue!
- 2 lemongrass stalks, cut in half lengthways
- 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil
- 3 tablespoons of ketjap manis (indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons of sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon of of Asian fish sauce
- 1 small piece of ginger (1cm)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 500g of beef, diced
- 3 handful of unsalted peanuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of chili flakes
For best results, leave the cubes to marinate in your fridge overnight, then, on the day of your barbecue:
Grill the beef skewers for about 4 minutes, or until they are caramelised on the outside and pink inside - use what's left of your marinade to brush the skewers while they're cooking. To serve, sprinkle with the chopped peanuts, coriander and chilli flakes.
Grab one while you can - they'll disappear quickly!